From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [soc] Python bindings for Paludis
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2007 00:32:43
1 On Friday 30 March 2007, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > > - you are not wanted as an official Gentoo developer ... the past
3 > > clearly shows this
4 >
5 > Not really... The process by which I became an unofficial Gentoo
6 > developer was so flawed that it got replaced as a result...
7
8 sure, the first time ... the second time around, the state of the developer
9 mass was simply too disrupted by your existence
10
11 > > - the official package manager of Gentoo would need to be
12 > > completely "in-house" with respect to control, direction, etc...
13 >
14 > Justify that. What does being in-house have to do with having control?
15 > Are you claiming that if the Council asks for a feature to be added to
16 > Portage that it will be added, or that if the Council asks for a
17 > feature to be added to Paludis that it wouldn't?
18
19 with the package manager in house, none of these things are an issue. we dont
20 have to worry about external developers pulling crap like closing down a
21 repository and thus denying other developers access.
22
23 allowing the official package manager for Gentoo to be disrupted is not
24 acceptable.
25
26 > You're assuming that the majority of developers had anything to do with
27 > or cared remotely about any of that.
28
29 feel free to maintain whatever delusions you like
30
31 > But first and foremost, you missed
32 > the part about me *wanting* to gain an @gentoo.org address, which isn't
33 > going to happen so long as the disadvantages outweigh whatever gain
34 > it's supposed to give...
35
36 then you agree it's not going to happen, good
37
38 > > so let's put this all together shall we:
39 > > you are in full control of paludis, you will not be a Gentoo
40 > > developer, thereforce paludis will not be the official Gentoo package
41 > > manager
42 >
43 > By that logic, Linux can't be the official Gentoo kernel and GCC can't
44 > be the official Gentoo compiler, which is clearly silly.
45
46 not the same ... ignoring the fact that there are no real alternatives to
47 these packages, "Gentoo" is not "Linux" nor is it "GCC" ... you can use it in
48 conjunction with other kernels and toolchains
49
50 > > > No no, I'd be quite happy with any package manager that meets my
51 > > > needs and the needs of other people. Portage is not such a package
52 > > > manager, and, let's face it, never will be. The continuing
53 > > > delusion that Portage will somehow magically improve and allow
54 > > > Gentoo to keep up with other distributions is largely why Gentoo is
55 > > > stuck where it is.
56 > >
57 > > there's a magic pill if i ever saw one ... the only available package
58 > > managers at the moment that satisfy your requirements is paludis ...
59 > > therefore see previous statements
60 >
61 > *shrug* That's hardly my fault, is it?
62
63 it is your fault you wont shut it ... constantly complaining about the faults
64 of other package mangers is not constructive when you dont indend to do
65 anything about it except whine the projects into non-existence
66
67 > No, it just so happens that they deliberately exclude the only two
68 > current viable alternatives to Portage, and experience suggests that
69 > it's going to take a substantial amount of time for anyone to come
70 > up with a third one...
71
72 you're right, i'm going to go ahead and exclude the ability for anything to
73 become the official powerhouse of Gentoo when it interferes so profoundly
74 with anyone using Gentoo
75
76 > > "emerge" is a brand name for Gentoo and while you can complain about
77 > > lack of features all you want, dropping portage and installing a
78 > > different package manager with a completely different interface will
79 > > surely causes a huge pita for everyone
80 >
81 > In the same way that "dselect" is a brand name for Debian?
82
83 you're confusing dselect with apt-get which is a well-known name aspect of
84 Debian
85 -mike