From: Richard Yao <ryao@g.o>
To: "gentoo-dev@l.g.o" <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Opinion against /usr merge
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2012 21:23:59
1 Dear Everyone,
2
3 An often cited benefit of the /usr merge is the ability to put
4 everything but /etc on NFS and for that reason, we need to force an
5 initramfs on people happily using /usr without it.
6
7 Interestingly, the /usr merge changes made to genkernel permit us to
8 mount /etc from a genkernel-built initramfs by putting /etc on a
9 separate mount point in fstab and then doing `echo /etc >>
10 /etc/initramfs.mounts`.
11
12 Some people claim that the current approach is somehow broken by citing
13 Bluetooth keyboards. However, what makes that work is adopting an
14 initramfs and that does *not* require moving files into /usr. If people
15 do not want an initramfs, they can simply not have a separate /usr. The
16 /usr merge gives nothing to people using bluetooth while the /usr merge
17 will break systems of non-bluetooth users.
18
19 I have been told that moving everything into /usr would be easy for us
20 because Arch Linux did it and they are a rolling distribution too. Arch
21 Linux does all-or-nothing upgrades. They do not offer the ability for
22 their users to choose to use older versions of software and we will not
23 be able to move everything into /usr without breaking existing systems
24 that boot without issues now.
25
26 I have also been told that the /usr merge is necessary because upstream
27 will force it on us. Interestingly, most of @system on Gentoo Linux is
28 GNU software, which would need to stop supporting things in / in order
29 for that to happen. As far ass I know, systemd does not work on GNU HURD
30 and it would be incapable of functioning if the GNU project made this
31 change. Hell will freeze long before that happens.
32
33 The only thing that might require a merge is systemd and it is not in
34 @system. If we offered users the ability to choose rc systems, we would
35 still be supporting baselayout-1's rc system. If we start now, we should
36 bring that back.
37
38 With that said, there is a great deal of FUD being spread by the systemd
39 developers and I see no reason for us to accept it. We would be breaking
40 users' systems for no gain other than to make the systemd developers
41 happy. Their refusal to permit udev to be built separately from systemd
42 demonstrated complete disdain for Gentoo Linux. Why should we let them
43 dictate how we design our distribution at our users' expense?
44
45 Lastly, don't tell me to read systemd's case for why we should break
46 people's systems. I have read it and I find it flawed. There is
47 absolutely no need for us to make this change.
48
49 Yours truly,
50 Richard Yao