From: Matt Turner <mattst88@g.o>
To: Gentoo project list <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Date: Sun, 03 Dec 2017 22:07:09
1 On Sat, Dec 2, 2017 at 3:18 PM, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
2 > The problems of more abusive behavior from some of the mailing list
3 > members have been reported to ComRel numerous times. After the failure
4 > of initial enforcement, I'm not aware of ComRel doing anything to solve
5 > the problem. The main arguments I've heard from ComRel members were:
6 >
7 > A. Bans can be trivially evaded, and history proves that those evasions
8 > create more noise than leaving the issue as is.
9
10 That's absurd. "We shouldn't enforce rules because people can break the rules"
11
12 > B. People should be allowed to express their opinion [even if it's pure
13 > hate speech that carries no value to anyone].
14
15 That's absurd. There's no reason to have to tolerate non-constructive
16 conversation on our own mailing lists. Classify it as off topic. We
17 tell people their posts are off topic for a particular mailing list
18 all the time.
19
20 > C. The replies of Gentoo developers were worse [no surprise that people
21 > lose their patience after being attacked for a few months].
22
23 That's absurd. You have to look at where the problem starts to fix it,
24 not engage in whataboutism.
25
26 > The alternative suggested by ComRel pretty much boiled down to 'ignore
27 > the trolls'. While we can see this is actually starting to happen right
28 > now (even the most determined developers stopped replying), this doesn't
29 > really solve the problem because:
30
31 That's absurd. The whole point of bringing problems to ComRel is so
32 they can solve it. Telling people to deal with it is explicitly not
33 solving the problem.
36 The Gentoo community (not just the developers) would stand to benefit
37 from a capable and competent ComRel team. It's very sad that we don't
38 have that.
39
40 Unfortunately, my experience is much the same as yours. ComRel
41 explicitly refused to act when a bug reporter was repeatedly abusive,
42 instead arguing that he didn't do anything wrong and that I shouldn't
43 be so offended. Even the user disagreed with ComRel, apologizing and
44 saying that his own behavior was out of line when I confronted him.
45 That's absurd.