From: Aron Griffis <agriffis@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] perl compile stuck on lib/io_sock (was: emerge aborting on linux-headers)
Date: Mon, 08 Oct 2001 06:34:17
1 Hi Woodchip,
2
3 Woodchip wrote: [Mon Oct 08 2001, 05:24:12AM EST]
4 > Note, it is *incorrect* to list localhost before
5 > localhost.localdomain. The FQDN needs to be first, followed by any
6 > aliases you want to use.
7
8 Actually, I think you may be wrong in this case. You are correct about
9 putting FQDN first, but in this case, "localhost" may be the
10 fully-qualified domain, and "localhost.localdomain" may be the alias,
11 since there is no actualy domain called "localdomain".
12
13 If you list "localhost" first, then programs that resolve IP->name using
14 /etc/hosts via the gethostby*() functions will resolve
15 127.0.0.1->localhost, which in my experience is desirable over
16 127.0.0.1->localhost.localdomain.
17
18 Aron