From: "M. J. Everitt" <m.j.everitt@×××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] newsitem: baselayout 2.5 changes
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2018 22:18:12
1 On 08/02/18 22:13, William Hubbs wrote:
2 > On Thu, Feb 08, 2018 at 03:55:02PM -0500, Mike Gilbert wrote:
3 >> However, there are plenty of examples of commands that normal users
4 >> may run from sbin. Moving these commands often causes problems for
5 >> packages that either hard code absolute paths, or detect paths at
6 >> build time. I think it would be less disruptive to add sbin to PATH
7 >> than it would be to try and "fix" all the packages that install
8 >> commands in the wrong place.
9 > There are no reasons to remove the *sbin directories from PATH; I know
10 > of no other distros that do this.
11 >
12 > William
13 >
14 Pardon my ignorance, but does that mean you are essentially relying on
15 file system features/permissions and security settings to enforce
16 correct use of system tools?! Or is this just to make sudo/etc commands
17 'more convenient' ?!
18
19 MJE