From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: package.mask vs ~arch
Date: Fri, 01 Aug 2014 15:19:48
1 On Fri, Aug 01, 2014 at 10:13:33AM +0100, Steven J. Long wrote:
2 > On Sun, Jun 29, 2014 at 11:01:53PM -0500, William Hubbs wrote:
3 > > On Sun, Jun 29, 2014 at 10:04:54AM -0400, Rich Freeman wrote:
4 > > > A package that hasn't been tested AT ALL doesn't belong in ~arch.
5 > > > Suppose the maintainer is unable to test some aspect of the package,
6 > > > or any aspect of the package? Do we want it to break completely for
7 > > > ~arch? In that event, nobody will run ~arch for that package, and
8 > > > then it still isn't getting tested.
9 > >
10 > > I'm not saying that we should just randomly throw something into ~arch
11 > > without testing it, but ~arch users are running ~arch with the
12 > > understanding that their systems will break from time to time and they
13 > > are expected to be able to deal with it when/if it happens. ~arch is
14 > > not a second stable branch.
15 >
16 > Nor is it a dumping ground for something you can't be bothered to overlay.
17
18 I can see why teams like gnome, kde, etc choose to use overlays. They
19 have many packages which need to be kept in sync for every release.
20 For single packages though, an overlay is overkill. Also, overlays are
21 purely optional; there is no Gentoo policy requiring their use. In fact,
22 overlays are considered unsupported.
23
24 If you don't know that something is going to break, it can go straight
25 to ~arch. If you know that something will cause breakage, sure, it can
26 go to package.mask. Or, if a bug that causes many systems to break is
27 found in a package, the package should go to package.mask until the bug is fixed.
28
29 > > > I agree that masking for testing is like having a 3rd branch, but I'm
30 > > > not convinced that this is a bad thing. ~arch should be for packages
31 > > > that have received rudimentary testing and which are ready for testing
32 > > > by a larger population. Masking should be used for packages that
33 > > > haven't received rudimentary testing - they might not have been tested
34 > > > at all.
35 > >
36 > > The concern with this argument is the definition of rudimentary testing
37 > > is subjective, especially when a package supports many possible
38 > > configurations.
39 >
40 > Well it can never be fresh from upstream, even if that upstream is a
41 > Gentoo developer.
42
43 What does this mean? We drop packages that are "fresh from upstream"
44 into ~arch all the time.
45
46 > eudev is more of a sanity filter, and doesn't claim
47 > to be upstream.
48
49 Eudev is a fork, so it is its own upstream. Also, it is used by some
50 distros outside of Gentoo.
51
52 > If anything we want more constraints when a Gentoo dev
53 > is "lead" on a project, as there are even less dykes in the way.
54
55 Adding more constraints to software that has Gentoo devs as the upstream
56 authors would be a policy I couldn't support. That is a form of
57 discrimination against our own devs.
58
59 William