From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Cc: Matthew Marchese <maffblaster@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Rebooting the Installer Project
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2015 11:26:02
1 On Mon, Jul 20, 2015 at 4:51 AM, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > I personally don't think Gentoo needs installer as-is. However, I think
4 > we'd really benefit from having some kind of helper scripts / checklist
5 > of tasks to be done prior to/after install.
6
7 I think something that would be really useful is better integration
8 with configuration management tools (ansible, puppet, chef, etc).
9 There are a few tools floating around but for the most part you're on
10 your own with any of these. I'd really like to get to the point where
11 I can be certain of being able to completely reproduce all my Gentoo
12 boxes from configuration management tools - to the extent that other
13 than cpu cycles it is as easy to just create a new vm/container/etc as
14 it is to run emerge -u world on an existing one.
17 > For example, you'd run 'check-my-install' script and it'd tell you what
18 > you likely forgot to set up :).
21 ++ - as long as it can be adapted to various uses. I don't need a
22 bootloader and kernel on my container. As many times as I've
23 installed Gentoo, I often manage to forget a step.
26 Rich