From: Peter Stuge <peter@×××××.se>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Bootloader use in eclean-kernel
Date: Sun, 24 May 2020 12:46:01
1 Michał Górny wrote:
2 > Hence my question: do you find 'do not remove kernels listed
3 > in bootloader config' feature useful? Do you think it should remain
4 > the default? Do you think it is worthwhile to continue supporting it?
5
6 I continue to use LILO because simpler and more mature code is good,
7 especially in the boot code path. I used GRUB for a short while but when
8 I saw it fail to boot from one start to another (without any OS changes)
9 I ended that experiment. I also wasn't impressed by the GRUB2 code quality
10 and tendency to become a mini-OS, trendy as that is.
11
12 I don't use eclean-kernel, but FWIW I think there is clear value in
13 supporting the LILO-style approach with explicit installation/configuration
14 of the bootloader in advance.
17 //Peter