From: John Nilsson <john@×××××××.nu>
To: Andrew Cowie <andrew@×××××××××××××××××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Antwort: Re: [gentoo-dev] YaST will be GPL [Virus checked]
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2004 05:18:51
1 debconf doesn't seem to be what I was describing. It appears to be a
2 system for package managers and package configuration at install time.
3 Thus rather distribution specific.
4 Though the biggest problem seems to be a lack of online documentation...
5 (ok 2min google wouldn't find them anyway, I read the debconf-devel man
6 from their subversion repository)
7
8 What I was suggesting was an XML-Schema(or DTD) describing a valid
9 XML-Schema for valid XML Configuration files.
10 Maybe a library for parsing those configuration files that applications
11 can link against.
12 Apache uses some semi xml for its configuration. XF86Config just lacks
13 the '<' and '>' and it would be xml'ish in its syntax...
14 It would be totally distribution independent.
15
16 Arguments against this would be:
17 1. It would be impossible to implement this in a way that suits all
18 applications.
19 I think it is
20 2. Configuration files would be...
21 ... hard to read
22 not once you're used to it
23 ... ugly
24 not if done right
25 ... bigger
26 so?
27
28 3. Core system utilities should not depend on an xml-parser
29 what do they depend on now?
30
31 -John