From: Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Policy for migrating library consumers to subslots
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2013 07:14:58
1 tl;dr: We should use EAPI5 features
2
3 I've noticed some libraries (e.g. poppler) having (almost) all their
4 consumers migrated to eapi5 subslots.
5 So upgrading those is now really neato.
6
7 Other libraries are still a bit less optimal. So there's lots of
8 revdep-rebuild / emerge @preserved-rebuild happening, which is annoying.
9
10 Thus I suggest declaring a policy:
11
12 ""
13 Any library bump that would trigger revdep-rebuild should be done with
14 the affected library package.mask'ed until all its consumers have been
15 properly bumped to subslot-aware versions.
16 ""
17
18 (The unmasking of the library then triggers a "migration" to happy
19 portage updates that don't need human supervision)
20
21 In this case the library maintainers would have to touch random ebuilds,
22 I don't see any reason why maintainers of the affected packages would
23 disagree with such improvements.
24
25 As a criticism people might claim that it'll slow down new versions
26 appearing, but it's a one-time hit that'll make everything easier the
27 next bump, so I'd say don't worry about it.
28
29 wkr,
30
31 Patrick