From: Doug Goldstein <cardoe@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Stupid USE defaults that need cleaning
Date: Mon, 26 Dec 2005 18:37:08
1 Simon Stelling wrote:
2 > Doug Goldstein wrote:
3 >
4 >> the USE defaults are a bit INSANE... We need to get rid of some of this
5 >> crap...
8 >> ./default-linux/x86/2005.0/make.defaults:USE="alsa apm arts avi berkdb
9 >> bitmap-fo nts crypt cups eds emboss encode fortran foomaticdb gdbm gif
10 >> gnome gpm gstreamer gtk gtk2 imlib ipv6 jpeg kde libg++ libwww mad
11 >> mikmod motif mp3 mpeg ncurses nls ogg oggvorbis opengl oss pam pdflib
12 >> perl png python qt quicktime readline sdl spell ssl tcpd truetype
13 >> truetype-fonts type1-fonts vorbis X xml2 xmms xv zlib"
16 > What about discussing this with the x86 arch team instead of -dev? IMO
17 > it's pretty much their decision what their defaults look like.
18 >
19 Because looking at the CVS logs to who is commiting these changes to the
20 profile and then looking at the x86 ARCH team I can tell you that a lot
21 of the USE flags I disagree with weren't put there by the ARCH teams.
22
23 And sometimes developers just add stuff there without properly
24 discussing things, there's a few USE flags like that. So really the
25 proper forums was here so that all devs were aware.
28 Doug Goldstein <cardoe@g.o>
29 http://dev.gentoo.org/~cardoe/