From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Policies for games dirs, new group "gamestat" for sgid binaries
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2015 09:35:11
1 >>>>> On Fri, 20 Feb 2015, Daniel Campbell wrote:
2
3 > When this becomes more widespread, what action are users urged to
4 > take in order to "migrate" to the new system? Should our everyday
5 > user account be removed from the `games` group, and the group should
6 > be removed altogether?
7
8 Currently, users need not take any action.
9
10 In the hypothetical case that games.eclass would be abandoned, the
11 "games" group would likely go away and should then be removed from
12 users' systems. However, with about 1000 ebuilds currently inheriting
13 games.eclass, I don't see that happening any time soon. There's a long
14 discussion on this topic in the nethack bug [1].
15
16 Personally, I think that controlling who is allowed to run certain
17 types of applications via group membership is a great idea. We should
18 introduce that approach for other applications too. How about an
19 "editors" group? Text editors are potentially dangerous because they
20 allow users to modify files. Therefore, the system administrator
21 should add only trusted users to the "editors" group so they can run
22 programs like emacs, nano, or vim from the app-editors category.
23
24 Ulrich
25
26 [1] https://bugs.gentoo.org/125902