From: Andrew Gaffney <agaffney@×××××××××××××××××××.net>
To: Gentoo Dev <gentoo-dev@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] wxGTK {up|down}grade loop
Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2003 17:59:12
1 Ruben Vermeersch wrote:
2 > Ok, here's what's bugging me lately:
3 >
4 > ruben@neferteti ruben $ emerge -uDp world
5 >
6 > These are the packages that I would merge, in order:
7 >
8 > Calculating world dependencies ...done!
9 > [ebuild U ] x11-libs/wxGTK-2.4.1-r1 [2.4.0]
10 >
11 > After updating wxGTK, i stumble upon this:
12 >
13 > neferteti ruben # emerge -uDp world
14 >
15 > These are the packages that I would merge, in order:
16 >
17 > Calculating world dependencies ...done!
18 > [ebuild UD] x11-libs/wxGTK-2.4.0 [2.4.1-r1]
19 >
20 > Something tells me this ain't normal behaviour :)
21
22 I've seen this kind of thing a few times before, most notably with avifile and drip. In
23 this case, there is an update available for wxGTK, so portage upgrades it. Unfortunately,
24 there is some program installed that requires on a version of wxGTK <=2.4.0, so portage
25 downgrades it to not break the other program. I consider this behavior a portage bug, but
26 as far as I know, there is currently no easy way to prevent this from happening.
29 Andrew Gaffney
33 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list