From: Thomas Beaudry <tmbeaudry@×××.com>
To: deniss@×××××××××.EDU, gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] nVidia - documentation addendum
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2002 23:26:00
1 last time i looked it said in the readme supplied by nvidia
2 that you had to turn off kernel support to prevent contention
5 >From: Denis Shcherbakov <deniss@×××××××××.EDU>
6 >To: gentoo-dev@g.o
7 >Subject: [gentoo-dev] nVidia - documentation addendum
8 >Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2002 14:02:08 -0400 (EDT)
11 >Guys,
12 >
13 >never mind the email I sent earlier regarding nVidia drivers. I found
14 >Christian Zander's document in English on your site, and I contacted him.
15 >He told me that turning off rivafb framebuffer support in the kernel helps
16 >resolve the error in initializing NVdriver module. So I turned it off,
17 >and without this framebuffer, X came up at a good resolution, like it
18 >should have.
19 >
20 >If you recall, I was getting module initialization error for NVdriver
21 >kernel module, which was breaking the "nvidia" in X.
22 >
23 >So, in your Desktop Configuration Guide, where you talk about setting up
24 >X, and talk about an addendum for NVIDIA owners (Code listings 8 thru 10),
25 >PLEASE add an "Important" or a "Warning" that X will probably not start
26 >with the new NVIDIA drivers, unless rivafb framebuffer support in the
27 >kernel is disabled. Either the module should be removed, or, if rivafb
28 >support is compiled into the kernel, it can be turned off using
29 >"video=riva:off" as one of the kernel boot parameters.
30 >
31 >I lost some sleep over this, so if you add this, it might save other
32 >Nvidia users some time.
33 >
34 >Christian's credit for communicating the solution of this to me.
35 >
36 >Best,
37 >Denis
38 >