From: Aron Griffis <agriffis@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] proposed solution to arches/stable problem
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 19:11:43
1 Travis Tilley wrote: [Tue Jun 22 2004, 09:05:46AM EDT]
2 > On Tuesday 22 June 2004 10:44 am, Aron Griffis wrote:
3 > > 1. Repoman could check keyword changes, warning arch maintainers
4 > > when they mark a version arch-stable that is not marked stable
5 > > by the maintainer.
6 >
7 > actually, i'd love to have something that's repoman-activated. that would also
8 > be a great slap on the wrist reminder any time i'm tempted to do otherwise
9 > without first talking to the herd maintainers. ^^;
10
11 *grin*
12
13 Yep, it can also show up in Mr_Bones_ daily full-tree repoman scan,
14 and would be a good candidate for aliz's report. It would be easy to
15 see if there's a particular arch team that seems to be overstepping
16 itself. At the very least it would be a useful statistic.
17
18 > i'd prefer a different variation.. perhaps a "known issues exist" or "beware
19 > of dragons" flag of some sort.
20
21 Ciaran mentioned the same idea on IRC:
22
23 <@ciaranm> agriffis: i'd prefer a donotmarkthisstable keyword,
24 personally, and i'd rather that it wasn't a keyword
25
26 (Since Ciaran has been so kind as to help me with my misuse of the
27 English language, I'll point out that he should have used "weren't"
28 instead of "wasn't" to indicate the conditional tense. ;-)
29
30 I understand the desire for that sort of flag from the perspective of
31 an arch developer, but I'm very wary of it. Here are the reasons:
32
33 1. The lack of such a flag in a given ebuild would appear to be a
34 green light to arch teams, but in reality it might simply be
35 that the package maintainer hasn't updated their ebuild yet to
36 contain the "beware" flag.
37
38 2. Package maintainers then have the responsibility to add the
39 "beware" flag whenever they receive notification of a bug
40 against the package. That's a lot of busy-work.
41
42 3. The "beware" flag would undoubtedly sit in the ebuild even
43 after the problem is resolved. As a package maintainer I can't
44 imagine having to toggle it on-and-off as problems come up and
45 are solved.
46
47 4. In reality, the package maintainer's arch *should* already
48 contain that information, shouldn't it? If it is marked ~arch,
49 then it *should* mean the same thing as a "beware" flag.
50
51 I realize that #4 isn't always the case, but consider for a minute
52 what is the problem and what is the symptom.... If a package
53 languishes in ~arch for a long time, that is a symptom of the fact
54 that it is poorly maintained. If we were to add a "beware" flag to
55 teh system, then it would not be well-maintained either!
56
57 > but any useful variation of this theme that's
58 > repoman activated would be nice. *shrug* foser's idea of having an ebuild
59 > mention the maintainer's arch(s) would probably also work if repoman knows
60 > about it... but there are a lot of semi-but-not-really maintained ebuilds.
61
62 Yes. The "semi-but-not-really maintained ebuilds" isn't something we
63 can really fix as part of the arch-vs-stable discussion,
64 unfortunately. It's something that is on the gradual road of being
65 fixed via herds, teams, and recruitment of responsible developers.
66
67 > just to clarify: i dont think this is something to prevent archs from
68 > determining special cases as needed, just something to force some extra
69 > thinking and remind arch maintainers that there are probably extra steps
70 > involved that should be taken first.
71
72 Agreed! One such step would be attempting to communicate with the
73 package maintainer about the problem, if possible before making an
74 arch keyword change. I think we all agree on this.
75
76 Regards,
77 Aron
80 Aron Griffis