From: Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFD: EAPI specification in ebuilds
Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2012 16:58:50
On 03/09/2012 08:49 AM, Michael Orlitzky wrote:
> The point was to be able to get the EAPI without crashing if the ebuild > uses newer features. If you can get the EAPI without sourcing, that > obviously accomplishes the goal. But there are other goals, too, like > not limiting the syntax of the EAPI assignment. I was just trying to > think up something that addresses them all.
Yeah, but you compromised on what can be considered our primary goal, which is to obtain the EAPI without sourcing the ebuild.
> In any case, yeah, it would crash and burn if someone synced his tree > with an ancient version of portage. But so would the comment solution.
Don't forget the possibility of bash syntax extensions triggering a syntax error [1]. The comment and bash assignment solutions are immune to that because bash is exceedingly unlikely to break backward compatibility in the comment and bash assignment syntax. [1] -- Thanks, Zac