From: Martin Schlemmer <azarah@g.o>
To: Gentoo-Dev <gentoo-dev@g.o>
Subject: RE: [gentoo-dev] Point of fact.
Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2002 14:39:14
1 On Fri, 2002-03-08 at 18:51, Erik Grinaker wrote:
2 > On Fri, 2002-03-08 at 16:55, Sean Mitchell wrote:
3 >
4 > > Well, the rest of that whole post aside, many of us have had trouble with
5 > > grub because we have no separate /boot partition. In my case, my /boot
6 > > partition is on /dev/hde1, which grub just can't seem to find.
9 I have experienced the same problem in the past. Try the following:
10
11 device (hd0) /dev/hde
12 root (hd0,0) #or whatever
13 ....
14
15 This works for me.
16
17 > > I like grub, but I've had much more success with lilo.
18 >
19 > This is all explained in the grub documentation
20 > (http://www.gnu.org/manual/grub-0.90/html_chapter/grub_toc.html).
21 >
22 > The biggest problem people have with GRUB is that they fail to realize
23 > what root in the GRUB config means - it is not the system root, but the
24 > root where the kernel images reside. In other words, your boot
25 > partition.
28 Not entirely. root(hd?,?) sets the root partition for Grub's stage
29 files.
30
31 You can specify a kernel on a alternative partition:
32
33 root (hd0,0)
34 kernel (hd0,1)/vmlinuz root=/dev/foo bar ...
35
36 > Your config entry should be for exampe "root (hd0,0)", where hd0,0 is
37 > your boot partition.
38 >
39 > When you specify your kernel image you must do this relative to your
40 > boot root, which usually should be /<your-kernel-image>. And then you
41 > pass your *system root* as a boot argument, for example ;
42 >
43 > kernel /bzkernel-2.4.18-2 root=/dev/hda5
44 >
45 > Now, in order to avoid all this confusion (or perhaps add to it :)), you
46 > can create a symlink from /boot/boot to /boot. This allows you to
47 > specify /boot/<kernelimage> in your grub config. To do this, issue the
48 > command "cd /boot && ln -s . boot".
51 It works on my system with a seperate /boot partition, but without the
52 /boot/boot symlink.
53
54 > now it will work to specify your kernel image as, for example ;
55 >
56 > kernel /boot/bzkernel-2.4.18-2 root=/dev/hda5
57 >
58 > GRUB is far superior to LILO in pretty much every conceivable way, as
59 > long as you read the documentation and understand how it works. And when
60 > you do so you will quickly see that LILO is a child's toy in comparison.
63 > Feel free to add this to the docs...
64 >
65 > --
66 >
67 > Erik Grinaker
68 > Freelance UNIX/Linux systems consultant
69 >
70 > "Perfection is acheived not when there is nothing more to add, but
71 > rather when there is nothing more to take away"
72 > - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
76 > gentoo-dev mailing list
77 > gentoo-dev@g.o