From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [OT/NIT] Re: Re: [gentoo-commits] gentoo-x86 commit in profiles: ChangeLog package.mask
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2013 22:26:57
1 On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 4:04 PM, Alex Xu <alex_y_xu@×××××.ca> wrote:
2 > Seems simple enough, as long as `repoman scan` runs quickly.
5 This is the key, because if a commit happens anywhere in your process,
6 your push will fail.
7
8 At first I thought you were suggesting a server-side hook. This
9 essentially has the same problem, though.
10
11 Manually running repoman may be the cleanest solution. By all means
12 people are welcome to use hooks if they're afraid they'll forget.
13 However, if you run repoman and it is fine, then you just need to
14 repeat pull/rebase, push until you get though. Sure, there is a
15 slight risk something might get missed, but that risk is lower than it
16 is with cvs currently (since the git pull before your repoman check
17 updated the entire repository, and not just the current directory - I
18 doubt anybody does a cvs update on the whole repository before every
19 change as it is so much more expensive).
20
21 I think our policy should emphasize the what over the how. The what
22 is we want commits that are free from stupid mistakes. The how is
23 repoman. We'll offer suggested workflows, and then it is up to the
24 committer to be responsible.
25
26 Rich