From: Thilo Bangert <thilo.bangert@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] User question during ebuild
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 14:14:56
1 Hi,
2 On Thursday, 14. March 2002 16:33, you wrote:
3 > I've been playing around with Gentoo on and off since rc3 and I
4 > have a need for it now. I'm building a appliance style database
5 > server for a client and I want to use ebuilds to install and
6 > maintain my custom application as well as some patched utilities.
7 > During the install I'd like to ask the user some questions and
8 > take action based on the answer.
11 this is a dificult part - i feel. usually ebuilds are just ebuilds -
12 ie. the install software, they don't configure something.
13
14 this is however in a few cases done anyway (the qmail ebuild comes to
15 my mind - which pretty much sets up the whole thing) - but even though
16 the ebuild does configuration, it does not ask the user any questions.
17 IMHO ebuilds should not ask questions but run non-interactivly.
18
19 when gontran and me rebuild the djbdns ebuild, we choose to write some
20 setup scripts which then ask the user all the questions needed to get
21 one going.
22
23 (BTW. the new djbdns ebuild is not in portage yet - checkout
24 http://fizzelpark.com/portage/ )
25
26 this is very much MHO!
27
28 > Is there a framework for this type of activity?
29
30 well, there is bash :-)
33 > Thanks,
34 > -Aaron Held