From: Daniel Drake <dsd@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo as a development platform
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2005 00:59:07
1 Robert Paskowitz wrote:
2 > Also, if you planned on using a setup
3 > like this, there wouldn't really be a need to have the source in your
4 > home directory as well.
5
6 I hack on the source in my home directory. I take automatic backups of my home
7 directory. I don't really want to hack in /usr/portage/distfiles/ or take
8 backups of that. I might not want portage to do a "cvs update" of the sources
9 when I ask it to merge the ebuild - I might be deliberately lagging a few
10 revisions behind.
11
12 > Most cvs ebuilds I've seen are nearly identical to a non-cvs ebuild.
13
14 This is one element of redundancy that I'd like to address.
15
16 > Having portage take your own tree from a particular user's
17 > home directory on the other hand seems like a bit of a stretch, and no
18 > necessarily all that useful.
19
20 I would find this useful, but perhaps the things I'm thinking of are just
21 suited to my style of working rather than a general development scenario.
22
23 Daniel
24 --
25 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list