From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Naming of repositories: gento-x86 edition, bike shedding wanted
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2015 09:19:56
1 >>>>> On Sat, 14 Mar 2015, Andreas K Huettel wrote:
2
3 >> Questions: 0. What names for the tree/repository.
4
5 > "gentoo" (it's also the repo_name)
6
7 > "portage" doesn't make sense, everything else is too long or
8 > potentially confusing...
9
10 Definitely, it should be "gentoo". Without "portage", "x86", or any
11 other suffixes.
12
13 >> 1. We have some namespaces in Git: proj, dev, priv, data, sites,
14 >> exp; should the tree be in one of those namespaces, a new
15 >> namespace, or be without a namespace?
16 >> git://anongit.gentoo.org/NEW-NAME.git.
17
18 Keep it at top level, without a namespace. This will also result in
19 the shortest URI.
20
21 > proj/gentoo would be fine for me (with the same logic as in the wiki
22 > that "Gentoo" is the "main project")
23
24 We shouldn't base our decisions on technical limitations of the wiki.
25 "Gentoo" is not a project in the sense of GLEP 39.
26
27 Ulrich