From: John Robinson <strider@××××××.net>
To: Tavis Ormandy <taviso@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Mozilla: Firebird-bin & Firebird-cvs
Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 14:27:34
1 > you can detect a terminal on a file descriptor with test -t (help test
2 > if you use bash)
3 >
4 > ls uses --color=auto, to show colour only if stdout is a tty,
5 > --color=always to show colour no matter what.
6
7 Cool. Good to know.
8
9 In that case, the switch to auto-detection seems like a good one to me,
10 but now I wonder why it hasn't already been implemented. I don't know
11 why emerge was designed with its current philosophies, or which ones
12 affect this part of its operation, so (with my changed opinion) I think
13 I'm gonna have to check out and let somebody who does know speculate on
14 why it would be a good or bad idea. =)
15
16 Cheers,
17
18 John Robinson