From: drobbins@g.o
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GRUB stage1 file not found
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2001 12:56:29
1 On Sat, Jan 01, 2000 at 01:12:17AM +0100, Knut Feiert wrote:
2 > I have changed the partition allocations with PartionMagic
3 > and have now hda8 as boot and hda 9 as root.
4 > GRUB could find the files but after:
5 > Running "install /boot/grub/stage1 d (hd0,7)
6 > /boot/grub/reiserfs_stage1_5 p
7 > /boot/grub/stage2" .... failed
8 > Error 31: File is not sector aligned
9 >
10 > What todo about this????
11
12 Here's what the GRUB documentation says:
13
14 31 : File is not sector aligned
15 This error may occur only when you access a ReiserFS partition by
16 block-lists (e.g. the command `install'). In this case, you should
17 mount the partition with the `-o notail' option.
18
19 Now that's strange. It appears that if you use the hosted version of
20 GRUB, it doesn't access the filesystem directly but uses blocklists
21 instead. If you repeat the exact same grub commands from your boot
22 floppy (hit "c" to get to the command line), it will work. I may need
23 to switch the docs back to the old method of installing GRUB, i.e.
24 rebooting with the CD, hitting "c" and typing the commands in.
25
26 Let me know if my suggestion works.
27
28 > Fortunately due to your tutorial on IBM developerworks
29 > I could make a GRUB boot floppy which works and
30 > gets Gentoo Linux up and running.
31
32 :) Glad I could help :)
35 Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>