From: Vano D <gentoo-dev@××××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo XML Database
Date: Fri, 07 Feb 2003 18:35:56
1 One interesting application I can think of using a database backend is
2 for making a "portage server" serving portage ebuilds and recording the
3 cache information (as in what is installed with what USE flags) for
4 every single client machine having an "account" on the db. So in effect
5 you would have all your machines without any portage-related files apart
6 from the "emergedb" command and accessory tools. It could be usefull for
7 anyone who needs to deploy a lot of differently configured Gentoo
8 machines really fast. It could also be usefull for administration of
9 production Gentoo machines freeing them of have any "portage bloat"
10 (bloat not in the bad sense, I love portage ;-) (here you would have the
11 machines connect to your central portage server. Very interesting even
12 though it is of limited use to many people.
13