From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Last rites: app-admin/gkrellm & plugins
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2023 10:35:12
1 Philip Webb posted on Fri, 27 Jan 2023 12:58:43 -0500 as excerpted:
2
3 > 230127 Michał Górny wrote:
4 >> # GKrellM and a variety of plugins.
5
6 >> # Removal on 2023-02-26.  Bug #892251.
7 >> app-admin/gkrellm
8 [and plugins, etc.]
9
10 > Is there a recommended alternative ?
11
12 app-admin/conky
13
14 It's currently gtk3, but at least with lua-cairo enabled, X-only.
15 However, upstream is alive and wayland-native support is apparently in the
16 works (tho it has been some months since I last checked status), so
17 doesn't appear to be death-bed either.
18
19 I use it here, altho I wasn't satisfied with built-in only so learned lua
20 (designed for embedding, exactly what conky uses it for) and wrote my own
21 conky lua themes. Seems extensibility is mandatory for flexibility
22 (handling decent detail at readable size without going fullscreen) for
23 this sort of app, and I've learned the extensibility language of more than
24 one such app (RIP superkaramba!) as they've gone dead over the years, but
25 with conky alive and working on wayland-native support, hopefully it'll
26 stick around for awhile.
27
28 Meanwhile, email me privately if you're interested in a lua-based conky
29 theme that can handle for example per-thread user/nice/system/freq
30 (extensible to steal... if you're doing VMs) at "readble but not entire
31 screen" sizes with AMD's 64-core/128-thread threadripper in mind (tho I'm
32 still on an old 6-thread ATM so expanding that big likely has bugs to work
33 out), or just for general conky discussion/questions, if you want.
38 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman