From: Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: USE flag transition: tetex and latex
Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2007 11:07:46
1 Hi,
4 > > I don't think documentation using texinfo.tex (the documentation
5 > > that comes in .texi files) uses latex --- I believe that
6 > > texinfo.tex uses just plain tex.
7
8 actually you got a point; but let me show how the boundary is small:
9
10 take a texi file, process it with tex -> it works.
11 remove the \input texinfo at the beginning -> fails
12
13 run:
14 $ tex -ini -jobname=texinfo -progname=texinfo texinfo.ini
15
16 that will give you: texinfo.fmt and texinfo.log in the current directory
17 run as root:
18 # ln -s tex /usr/bin/texinfo
19
20 then run texinfo on your .texi file where you have removed the \input
21 (and in the same directory where you had texinfo.fmt) -> it works
22 funny heh ?
23
24 what is a format ? it's just : run tex on a file, dump the memory
25 of the interpreter and write it to a file.
26
27 what is latex ? bah it's just more or less the same thing: some tex
28 macros and definitions, processed through a tex engine to get latex.fmt
29 If you check it, the latex executable is just a symlink to the tex
30 engine used by your distribution ;)
33 Seeing that, should we call it tex, texi or texinfo ? is latex really
34 latex or should we call it tex ?
35 I don't have any answer to that, and I think we should have useflag
36 names that refer to commonly used names for what they represent. If you
37 tell me that .texi files are commonly referenced as tex stuff, then why
38 not tex; but I'd call it texinfo.
41 > Do we even provide plain tex via an ebuild or useflag?
42
43 for the above reasons, we have tex ;)
44
45 Regards,
48 Alexis.