From: Martin Schlemmer <azarah@g.o>
To: Gentoo-Dev <gentoo-dev@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] System hangup w/ X taking 100% cpu
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2001 13:39:59
1 On Thu, 2001-12-13 at 19:11, Dan Armak wrote:
2 > Hi all,
3 >
4 > On my new r12 system I've had a hangup in X11. No apparent cause. The system
5 > stopped accepting any input and the screen didn't even complete a redraw. The
6 > mouse went on moving as it was in h/w, but clicks were no good. Magic sysrq
7 > wasn't responding either.
8 >
9 > I logged in via ssh, and top showed X was taking 100% cpu. I tried killall X,
10 > no effect. I tried kill -9 <X pid>, the remote login hung up and i couldn't
11 > ssh to it again. I had to do a hard reboot.
12 >
13 > Then I expirienced the same effect twice on an old rc5 system which underwent
14 > absolutely no updates or config changes for a few months now. Only this was
15 > standalone not on a net, so I couldn't login via ssh.
16 >
17 > Both rc6 lockups were when running kmail, both rc5 lockups while running
18 > ksirc.
19 >
20 > Trying to send this message, I had another lockup on the rc6 system, hope
21 > this reaches you.
22 >
23 > I'm absolutely mystified. Ideas? Anyone seen this kind of thing before?
24 >
25 > --
28 Hi Dan
29
30 What version kernel, nvidia driver and filesystem are you
31 running?
32
33 I updated my nvidia drivers to the latest 2313, and only had
34 problems (screen corruption, lockups, etc) on a system that
35 had been running stable for a long time now. i went back to
36 the previous version, and it is 100% again. I also had problems with my
37 old savage and sertain drivers.
38
39 Then, nearly a year back, I had the same type of problems
40 (lockups), but this was due to bad ram, and a kernel/reiserfs
41 and hardware compat problem.
44 Greetings,
47 Martin Schlemmer
48 Gentoo Linux Developer, Desktop Team Developer
49 Cape Town, South Africa