From: John Stalker <stalker@××××××××××××××.EDU>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Installation Pb with adsl modem
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 15:44:46
1 >Any plan to include a way to install gentoo with an
2 >adsl usb modem ?
3
4 There already is a way. I installed over adsl--it wasn't usb but some
5 other devices were. If you have another distribution installed in
6 another partition and are using a 2.4 kernel it is pretty easy.
7 If not it is still possible, but not easy. The basic idea is
8 to set up your partitions from the other distribution as in step
9 5 of the CD-ROM install instructions, and mount them, as in step 6.
10 You can skip step 7. Then follow steps 8 through 12. Instead of
11 copying the build image from /mnt/cdrom/build-*.tbz2 you will
12 need to download it off the net. Once you chroot in step 8
13 you are in your new root partition, but you are still using
14 your old kernel and should have your old network interfaces
15 still up and running, or at least I did. In step 13 when you
16 install additional packages, install and configure rp-pppoe.
17 Then go on to steps 14 and 15 and try to boot your new system.
18 You will probably want to make sure adsl-start is somewhere in
19 you init scripts once you make sure it works. I never installed
20 of the CD, but I think this way is actually easier!
21
22 ps: obviously you will want to configure your kernel with PPP and
23 USB support.
27 John Stalker
28 Department of Mathematics
29 Princeton University