From: "Sven Köhler" <skoehler@×××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: USB disks - idea/question
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2006 23:42:26
1 Raymond Lewis Rebbeck schrieb:
2 > On Saturday, 23 December 2006 2:40, Sven Köhler wrote:
3 >> Hi,
4 >>
5 >> so as you plugin a USB-disk, the kernel will recognize it, and it will
6 >> be called sda, sdb, sdc or whatever ...
7 >>
8 >> I don't like that - why doesn't it get some more usefull device-name?
9 >> Some device name, that
10 >> a) indicates, that it is usb (for example put them to /dev/usb) and
11 >> b) uses a numering not depending on how many harddisk there are in the
12 >> system
13 >>
14 >> So for example /dev/usb/uda could be a symlink to /dev/sdb,
15 >> /dev/usb/uda1 a symlink to /dev/sdb1 etc.
16 >> (In this case, sda would be a normal harddisk, which is the reason why
17 >> the usb-device is sdb)
20 >> So i don't know any other distribution doing it like that. So what do
21 >> you think?
22 >> - is it possible?
23 >> - is it a good idea?
24 >> - is it such a good idea, so that gentoo becomes the first distribution
25 >> doing it?
26 >> - is it a bad idea to differ from all the other distros out there?
29 >> Thanks,
30 >> Sven
31 >
32 > Take a look at the contents of /dev/disk/ or if you don't like that, read up
33 > on writing your own udev rules and you can give devices whatever device node
34 > you want.
35
36 /dev/disk is tooo fine grained.
37
38 Imagine, i would be an administrator of lots of Linux-PCs in an
39 unversity. What do i know about the label, uuid, path or id of the
40 usb-stick that the user plugs into an arbitrary USB-plug of the computer?
41
42 Well, not enough to use /dev/disk actually:
43
44 i don't know the label
45 i don't know the exact path
46 i don't know the id
47 and i guess i also don't know the uuid.
48
49 So if i wanted to create a mountpoint for the first three usb mass
50 storage devices (asuming, they only have one partition, as usual), i
51 wouldn't be abled to do it.
54 I will write my own udev-rules then - that's alright for me.
57 Thanks for the hints/suggestions to all who answered!
60 Greetings,
61 Sven