From: "Vadim A. Misbakh-Soloviov" <mva@×××.name>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] www-client/chromium gtk3 support
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2015 12:51:14
1 > <...>
2 > I'm sorry, I wrote too briefly. hasufell seems to be saying that gtk2
3 > should be deprecated now. I'm just agreeing with Rich that if upstream
4 > supports both *and* the maintainer wants to support both, there's no
5 > reason to force them to only support one.
6 > <...>
7 > As Rich has mentioned already, if upstream thinks they support gtk2 but
8 > it crashes when using gtk2, I am perfectly fine with the maintainer
9 > closing the bug as WONTFIX because upstream broke things.
10
11 I absolutelly double that. That is the point which I evangelizing above.
12
13 hasufell's statement about gtk2 looks like <some-other-devs> statement that we
14 should drop "that your eudev, and, better, openrc too" and force users to move
15 to SysD. Which would be a crime against Gentoo Philosophy.
16
17 But, as usual, there is a sidenote: as you remember, we've dropped Qt3/KDE3
18 packages over the time (I remeber how I've upgraded to KDE4 about 7 years ago
19 and there was situation, similar to current gtk2-3 one. And just right now
20 there is another similar situation happening around Qt4-5). There is point to
21 do such thing when upstream drop that support. Only. Also, there is a point to
22 drop gtk2-only packages later, when upstreams will die. Until that, such
23 proposiions looks like tyranny.
26 Best regards,
27 mva