From: Jason Stubbs <jstubbs@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] QA Roles v2
Date: Sat, 04 Mar 2006 15:13:15
1 On Saturday 04 March 2006 23:45, Danny van Dyk wrote:
2 > Am Samstag, 4. März 2006 14:24 schrieb Thomas de Grenier de Latour:
3 > > One point of view on this issues is that the ebuilds are wrong, because
4 > > they are abusing the said USE flags, and they should rather die. Imho,
5 > > it makes sense, but if such a strict policy was applied to every
6 > > ebuilds which atm are abusing flags this way, it would become really
7 > > hard to put anything in the make.conf USE variable without breaking
8 > > "emerge -uD world".
9 >
10 > Just to throw in my 2 cents into this discussion: I'm all against die-ing
11 > during the update process. However, i think that stopping before the update
12 > process would be the best solution at hand. I'd like to propose the addition
13 > of a dedicated USE conflict detection to ebuilds which need it.
14
15 This sounds the most reasonable. I can't see portage ever supporting "the 'foo'
16 and 'bar' flags can be used together except when 'baz' is also used" type flag
17 interdepency complexity. As Mike pointed out, check_license also needs to be
18 accounted for as well as possible others.
21 Jason Stubbs
24 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list