From: drobbins@g.o
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] kernel compile on install
Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2001 22:21:35
On Sun, Jan 07, 2001 at 03:05:12PM -0700, drobbins@g.o wrote:

> > Hmm, I recall asking if rc3 could have gcc and the kernel source > > available from the boot cd - I see the kernel source code is in the > > packages directory, but I think there may have been a > > mis-communication... I actually meant that gcc be executable from > > boot.img so that a kernel can be compiled directly from the boot cd > > (onto ramfs presumably, unless you mount anything else) without having > > to install anything to a hard disk - I for one would find this very > > useful, and I'm surprised I haven't seen any other distros do this. > > Comments please > > I think that's impossible right now, since the kernel sources need to be > on a read/write filesystem. However, I believe that this is changing with > the official 2.4.0 release (or some time soon), which will allow the sources > to reside on the CD. Then, it'll be possible. Otherwise, you'd need ~150Mb > of spare RAM just to hold the upacked kernel sources in a RAM filesystem.
Now that I think of it, this should be possible with a chroot to /mnt/gentoo after the base system has been installed. The kernel could then be compiled and installed quite easily. We'll need to test it out -- I hope it works :) Best Regards, -- Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o> President/CEO Gentoo Technologies, Inc.

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-dev] kernel compile on install Thomas Flavel <thomasfl@××××××××××××.uk>