From: Greg KH <gregkh@g.o>
To: Kevin <gentoo-dev@××××××.biz>
Cc: Gentoo Dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Major MCE problem with SMP on Gentoo kernels
Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 18:46:40
1 On Tue, May 11, 2004 at 02:07:58PM -0400, Kevin wrote:
2 > In summary, my problem is this: of those that I've tried, I can't get any
3 > Gentoo kernel to handle SMP operation during major CPU activity (like
4 > emerging packages) for more than about 5 or 10 minutes. Invariably,
5 > during such activity, I get a kernel panic---most often with words on the
6 > console about Machine Check Exception 000000...004 (this number from
7 > memory so it may be off).
8
9 This means you have bad hardware (memory, cpu, overheating, etc.) It's
10 the hardware saying that something bad just happened, nothing the OS or
11 distro did wrong here.
12
13 I suggest you track down that exact error message and determine what it
14 means (there are tables and a tool that does that, sorry I can't
15 remember what it is...)
16
17 Good luck,
18