From: Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] xinitrc/startx scripts unification
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 21:44:38
1 Lukasz Pawelczyk wrote:
2 > I wanted to fill bugzilla report about this but found few existing
3 > without neither serious solution nor being current.
4 >
5 > There is an incosistency in current xinitrc behaviour (i'm only talking
6 > about xinitrc run through startx, not {k,g,x}dm).
7
8 Either Joshua Baergen or I are the right people to work with on this.
9 You can catch up with us on IRC in #gentoo-desktop as Josh_B and
10 dberkholz to discuss this in more detail.
11
12 I haven't had time to look through your patch, but I do want to explain
13 the philosophy. Our xinit has diverged way too far from upstream. What
14 needs to happen is for us to first determine what the "correct" behavior
15 is, IOW what upstream does. Next, we need to fix our stuff to do that.
16 Then, we need to make any necessary changes to add functionality like
17 xinitrc.d, and create patches to merge those changes upstream.
18
19 The goal is to create a modernized, upstreamable setup that reduces our
20 maintainance and patch size to near zero and allows other distributions
21 to also benefit from our work. I think Red Hat also has some nice xinit
22 patches, they forked off their own version a few years back.
23
24 Thanks,
25 Donnie