From: Mart Raudsepp <leio@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New global USE flags (network, 3dnowext, static-libs, mtp)
Date: Thu, 04 Jun 2009 09:20:41
1 On K, 2009-06-03 at 21:02 +0300, Samuli Suominen wrote:
2 > Mart Raudsepp wrote:
3 > > On K, 2009-06-03 at 02:13 +0300, Samuli Suominen wrote:
4 > >> USE network is used by 9 ebuilds, and one is using USE networking which
5 > >> can be converted, that'd be 10.
6 >
7 > USE network "Enable networking support"
8 >
9 > >>
10 > >>
11 > >> USE 3dnowext is basic optimization, 3 ebuilds, but it should be with mmx
12 > >> and others.
13 >
14 > USE 3dnowext "Adds support for 3dnowext multimedia processor instructions"
15 >
16 > (desc. almost copy from 3dnow desc)
17
18 Maybe it could say in parenthesis what kind of processors have it "(foo
19 and later vendor bar CPUs)" or something if it can be classified like
20 that. I think it's still pretty AMD specific and introduced with a
21 certain family.
22
23 > >>
24 > >> USE static-libs to enable or disable static libs (archives), used by 6
25 > >> ebuilds, soon more.
26 >
27 > USE static-libs "Build static libraries"
28
29 I think this should be clear on that dynamic libraries are still built
30 and installed
31
32 "Build static libraries in addition to shared libraries"
33
34 > >>
35 > >> USE mtp is used by 6 ebuilds, enables Media Transfer Protocol support.
36 >
37 > USE mtp "Enable support for Media Transfer Protocol"
38 >
39 > >>
40 > >> Any objections?
41 > >
42 > > Could you share it with everyone what the proposed global descriptions
43 > > of these USE flags would be,
44
45 > and what the individual local USE flag
46 > > descriptions currently are?
47
48 You seem to have ignored this part. I guess I'm just lazy to go look up
49 what packages actually have those as a local USE flags and go viewing
50 metadata.xml of each of those.
51
52 > So that everyone won't need to look up by
53 > > themselves or guess the global description.
57 > Thanks Samuli