From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: pkg_pretend USE validation and VALID_USE alternative
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2010 11:04:51
1 >>>>> On Wed, 31 Mar 2010, Brian Harring wrote:
2
3 > Not just my proposal- council contradicted it via even letting
4 > pkg_pretend into EAPI3 (now EAPI4):
5
6 > http://www.mail-archive.com/gentoo-council@l.g.o/msg00493.html
7
8 It says "displaying conflicting USE flags" which doesn't necessarily
9 imply that the ebuild should fail.
10
11 > I honestly consider the ebuild silently making decisions on the
12 > user's behalf *worse*.
13
14 Right, this is exactly what we should decide on, before talking about
15 possible implementations.
16
17 We already have enough issues with circular dependencies, and I'm
18 sceptical about adding additional failures on USE flag conflicts.
19 Display a warning, but don't error out.
20
21 Ulrich