From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: multilib@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] The gx86-multilib project needs your help! (+ roadmap reminder)
Date: Wed, 14 May 2014 10:13:35
1 >>>>> On Sun, 11 May 2014, Michał Górny wrote:
2
3 > The gx86-multilib project is working hard to bring our users a better
4 > experience in multilib support. Eventually, we would like to phase out
5 > emul-linux and replace it with less flawed multilib-build solution.
6 > However, that requires a lot of work and we need your help.
7
8 > One of the major flaws of the emul-linux solution was that a single
9 > package corresponded to multiple libraries. For proper multilib
10 > support, we need to unbundle those and replace the dependencies on
11 > emul-linux with detailed library dependencies. Doing this properly
12 > often requires access to the executables.
13
14 This looks like a problem similar to the one we had when porting from
15 monolithic to modular X11. There were some tools at the time that
16 would help with dependency checking:
17 http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/desktop/x/x11/porting-modular-x-howto.xml
18
19 Maybe some of that old wisdom could be used for solving the new
20 problem?
21
22 Ulrich