From: Christopher Head <chead@×××××.ca>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Please stop useless removals
Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2013 18:59:23
1 On Fri, 1 Feb 2013 09:45:07 -0500
2 Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
5 > That seems rather speculative. I'm sure that people look for
6 > vulnerabilities in unmaintained software - if they didn't then nobody
7 > would be able to exploit them in the first place (you have to find a
8 > vulnerability to exploit it). I imagine most vulnerabilities are
9 > found by people outside of projects in the first place.
10 >
11 > We don't know how many vulnerabilities there are in maintained
12 > packages, let alone unmaintained ones, so a comparison is a bit
13 > difficult.
14
15 Also, there are plenty of packages that can't really *have* interesting
16 security vulnerabilities in the first place. I don't know the specifics
17 of the games that were removed, but games in general, if they are
18 purely single-player and only ever read and write files in the player's
19 home directory, don't really have an attack surface to start with. You
20 can't remotely exploit a program that never creates a socket, and you
21 can't locally exploit a program that never tries to access files other
22 than those in its invoker's home directory and root-writable
23 directories like /usr/share, and does so with the invoker's usual
24 privileges. Do you treeclean those because "they might have security
25 holes"?
26
27 Chris