From: Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Revisions for USE flag changes
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2017 14:14:27
1 On 08/12/2017 06:29 AM, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 >
3 > My gut feeling is that the change you want is probably a good thing,
4 > but it will never happen if you can't provide a single example of
5 > something bad happening due to the lack of a revbump.
6
7 There's an unfixed security vulnerability with USE=foo, so we drop the
8 flag temporarily. Users who had USE=foo enabled will keep the vulnerable
9 code installed until they update with --changed-use or --newuse.
10
11 Even with the devmanual improvements, the advice we give is conflicting:
12
13 * If you fix an important runtime issue, do a revbump.
14
15 * If you drop a USE flag, don't do a revbump.
16
17 What if you fix a runtime issue by dropping a flag? It's more confusing
18 than it has to be: the USE flag exception interacts weirdly with all the
19 other rules.