From: james <garftd@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Packages up for grabs
Date: Sun, 07 Aug 2016 16:28:10
1 On 08/07/2016 09:06 AM, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On 07/08/2016 15:32, Kent Fredric wrote:
3 >>> Let them use java* codes, as that is what all the universities are
4 >>>> teaching and promoting. I agree
5 >>>> with gentoo proper on severely restricting java*, on gentoo-proper,
6 >>>> but that sort of thing is killing gentoo and just appears to the open
7 >>>> world as a filter mechanism to keep out and go elsewhere, snoot.
8 >>>> There are just too many exciting and useful codes out there running
9 >>>> java.
10 >> "All" ? Some. And the dominance and focus on Java is itself telling of
11 >> the quality and type of the education provider.
12 >>
13 >> Some education providers may not touch Java at all, and focus
14 >> predominantly on C.
15 >>
16 >> You can't satisfy everyone out of the box.
20 > I have no idea where James gets his information from, but I suspect it's
21 > a niche market where uni students do "clustering" - whatever that is.
22
23 I spend a lot of time "hooping" with college kids in a variety of
24 venues. College kids and adults, from around the world visit the hoop
25 venues in Central Florida. Lots of kids who are not CS majors are
26 involved in coding, and java reigns supreme, imho, as the most often
27 cited programming language they use, because professors and employers
28 alike dictate that on them.
29
30 Also Just look at the job boards and the new projects springing up on
31 github. Sure python is very popular. But, I cannot think of a single
32 distro that offer java and precludes python, so why not have both.
33
34 Yes java is popular in rich environments where jobs in the cloud or on
35 an internal cluster contain java codes. Most kids only use the cloud and
36 are not 'full stack' aware or part of the foundation of the resources
37 they code for.
40 > The interesting apps out there are mostly running python, go and
41 > (sometimes) lua. And that's what I observe in my day job -
42 > business/mobile ISP.
45 Look at the job listing on stackoverflow and elsewhere (java) is very
46 popular when they list several programming languages to meet the
47 requirements. I'm not promoting java, at all, but just stating that it
48 is very popular, on new projects (but not all) and it is a large and
49 frequent requirement, dictating by employers. Kids coming out of college
50 want a job, more than anything, and most are having java crammed down
51 their throats. So we should find a way to robustly
52 support those that need java. Nothing is precluding other languages
53 in my message. Personally I avoid java, unless it is critical to
54 a code or family of codes I need to run.
57 hth,
58 James