From: "Hanno Böck" <hanno@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Should we allow "GPL, v2 or later" for ebuilds?
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2020 13:40:28
1 I'm a bit worried if we should really go down that path.
2
3 Not because I have issues with GPL2+ (I'm usually happy with
4 everything that makes licensing more flexible), but because I'm worried
5 we're creating a legal minefield.
6
7 Think about this: You may ask me if you can relicense all the ebuilds
8 I've ever written as GPL2+. I'll say yes. Though ask me if you can
9 relicense all the ebuilds I've ever committed? Well... They came from
10 bug reports, overlays, heavily edited by other people, and I have no way
11 of tracking that. I added them under the implicit assumption that
12 someone who has submitted such an ebuild to bugzilla or to an overlay
13 with the gentoo/gpl2 copyright line in it would implicitly agree that
14 they would be redistributed under those conditions. IANAL, but I think
15 that's a fair assumption. But do all these people that created or
16 contributed to the ebuilds I ever committed agree to a
17 GPL2+-relicensing? No idea, probably not. Is their work relevant enough
18 to have a license at all? IANAL.
19
20 *If* Gentoo decides to go this relicensing way I'd recommend to only do
21 that if it's coordinated with organizations that have deep legal
22 knowledge of these issues (e.g. like software freedom conservancy) and
23 if some lawyers that know this stuff well approve the plan.
26 Hanno Böck
27 https://hboeck.de/