From: Richard Brown <rbrown@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Proposed addition to the Social Contract
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2007 15:47:02
1 On Sun, 25 Mar 2007 16:47:30 -0400
2 Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o> wrote:
3 > i think this whole idea is a moot point anyways ... go visit the
4 > Gentoo Foundation web site and see Chapter 2 Section 5
5 > -mike
6
7 > Gentoo is independent
8
9 > Gentoo will never be reigned by a company nor be dictated by an
10 > organisation.
11
12 Hi vapier, thanks for pointing this out. Am I wrong to assume from your
14 current council have not implemented any policy at the instruction of an
15 external company or organisation? Or under the threat of the withdrawal
16 of services that company/organisation provides to us?
17
18 I ask because when I was concerned to read this conversation in
19 #gentoo-council:
20
21 2007-03-15 15:15 <@wolf31o2|mobile> we're entrusted by certain outside
22 parties to not disclose things that are spoken to us in confidence
23 2007-03-15 15:18 < tove> wolf31o2|mobile: how are outside parties
24 involved in "our" coc? i don't understand this. can you please
25 elaborate on it?
26 2007-03-15 15:19 <@wolf31o2|mobile> tove: no, I cannot elaborate, nor
27 do I care to... just realize that Gentoo has responsibilities to
28 outside parties that provide services and goods to Gentoo... we
29 have relationships that we would like to maintain... and that's about
30 all I can say (or have time to say... I am at work)
31
32 I certainly inferred that the council had been told do "something" or
33 "outside parties that provide services and goods to Gentoo" would cease
34 to "maintain" that relationship. While there is some ambiguity in what
35 wolf31o2 said, it certainly doesn't read to me that this is a preemptive
36 measure, especially as the first line references already having been
37 told something in confidence.
38
39 I admit I haven't asked wolf31o2 about this, but then he implied he was
40 forbidden from discussing it further. Perhaps you have not been so
41 constrained by an outside organisation?
42
43 I'm unsure of what the procedure is for quoting irclogs in a mail is
44 really, but you'll find about 5 minutes either side of that conversation
45 here: http://dev.gentoo.org/~rbrown/gentoo-council.log
46
47 Regards,
50 Richard Brown