From: "Diego Elio Pettenò" <flameeyes@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Quantity of open bugs
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2011 14:48:16
1 Il giorno gio, 10/03/2011 alle 20.25 +0000, Kevin F. Quinn ha scritto:
2 >
3 > * Number of open bugs is greater than 14,000
4
5 For the record, about 10% of those are reported by me through tinderbox
6 (1506 open bugs reported by me as of today). A number of those date back
7 in 2008 and earlier, and could be fixed reasonably quickly if the
8 packages were maintained. And no, me or any other number of people going
9 through to fix just those is not feasible, see my old post at [1] for
10 some reasons.
11
12 I actually use the fact that these are still open to judge whether a
13 package has to be removed from the tree, closing them would definitely
14 be a bad idea for two reasons:
15
16 - makes it harder to see whether the package has any maintainer at all;
17 - would waste my time as I'd be re-opening the same exact bug at the
18 following tinderbox iteration, as the original bug was closed (and no, I
19 wouldn't go _reopening_ the bug, since I wouldn't remember there was one
20 already most of the time, so the load on bugzilla would increase).
21
22 So if somebody would still have doubts about this, I think the point is
23 vetoed to close bugs without action as WONTFIX after any time at all.
24 Rather get rid of the package in that case. And you can challenge that
25 with the council if you wish as I'm weighting that in as part of QA,
26 thank you very much.
27
28 OTOH if a bug is waiting for user to report build logs or other kind of
29 test results, closing as TEST-REQUEST or NEEDINFO is likely a good idea.
30
31 [1] http://blog.flameeyes.eu/2009/12/28/the-five-minutes-fix-myth
34 Diego Elio Pettenò — Flameeyes
35 http://blog.flameeyes.eu/