From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: mgorny@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: should openrc be mandatory on all gentoo systems?
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2011 21:51:10
1 On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 11:30:51PM +0200, Michał Górny wrote:
2 > On Thu, 30 Jun 2011 17:16:14 -0400
3 > Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 > > On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 17:14, Michał Górny wrote:
6 > > > On Wed, 29 Jun 2011 23:47:42 -0400 Mike Frysinger wrote:
7 > > >> On Wednesday, June 29, 2011 22:19:09 Michał Górny wrote:
8 > > >> > On Wed, 29 Jun 2011 16:46:13 -0500 William Hubbs wrote:
9 > > >> > > Ok, the option that I'm looking at now is to set up openrc so
10 > > >> > > that the init scripts are optional and whether or not they are
11 > > >> > > installed is controlled by a use flag which I will default to
12 > > >> > > on in IUSE. Most people would leave this flag alone, but if
13 > > >> > > you want to use something like systemd and do not want the
14 > > >> > > init scripts or the /etc/runlevels directory on your system,
15 > > >> > > you would just re-emerge openrc with this flag disabled.
16 > > >> > >
17 > > >> > > For now this flag will just control init scripts installation,
18 > > >> > > but I will also look into taking it further and not installing
19 > > >> > > other parts of openrc, such as binaries, man pages, etc which
20 > > >> > > are only used if you are working on init scripts.
21 > > >> >
22 > > >> > Wouldn't it be better to just leave these people with
23 > > >> > INSTALL_MASK? USEflag means needless rebuilds just for the
24 > > >> > benefit of one file.
25 > > >>
26 > > >> so you're saying the solution for systemd users is to setup
27 > > >> INSTALL_MASK and we shouldnt worry about tweaking openrc at all ?
28 > > >
29 > > > Have you even heard the word called 'context'? It might be too short
30 > > > for your taste.
31 > >
32 > > perhaps if you focused less on being snarky and more on the thread
33 > > content, you'd realize that the context here is "providing
34 > > /etc/init.d/functions.sh support for non-openrc users". that was the
35 > > point of William's e-mail that is at the start of this current
36 > > "context".
37 >
38 > And if you focused more on reading what others write, you'd realize
39 > that the whole citation here mentions only installing init.d scripts
40 > and /etc/runlevels?
41
42 We are trying to hash out a way to make /etc/init.d/functions.sh
43 available to all users, regardless of the init system they are using.
44
45 The issue is that right now /etc/init.d/functions.sh is a symbolic link
46 owned by OpenRC which points to /lib/rc/sh/functions.sh. Also,
47 /lib/rc/sh/functions.sh in openrc really isn't much of a script, most of the e*
48 functions are part of the /sbin/rc binary which is a multi call binary.
49
50 We have some gentoo base functions which should be available
51 on all gentoo systems built into the OpenRC init system. This was fine
52 in the day when OpenRC was the only init system we used, but now it
53 isn't fine because it is requiring everyone to have OpenRC and sysvinit
54 installed even if they do not want to use them.
55
56 I do not want to deprecate *any* gentoo base functions. I just want to
57 make them all available in a way that does not force a dependency on
58 OpenRC and sysvinit.
59
60 The discussion on the bug has now evolved to having a separate package,
61 gentoo-base-functions, that provides these base functions.
62
63 William