From: Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] libpng-1.5 smooth upgrade
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2011 19:52:03
1 On Friday, February 11, 2011 01:49:43 PM Samuli Suominen wrote:
2 > > 4) What have we learned from libpng 1.2 -> 1.4 upgrade? I'd just like to
3 > > be better informed.
4 >
5 > One way under consideration:
6 >
7 > We have been discussing about removing libpng.pc, libpng.so and
8 > unversioned headers from the libpng 1.5.x package allowing it to install
9 > parallel with libpng 1.4.x.
10 >
11 > That means every package that has been checked working against 1.5.x,
12 > will need to be patched to link against -lpng15, use headers from the
13 > libpng15/ directory and use libpng15.pc instead.
14
15 you are seriously considering patching every single package using libpng like
16 this instead of fixing those that fail??? (and i'm not talking about the fact
17 that these patches cannot be upstreamed...)
18
19 if you want to slot it, better provide something like an eselect module for
20 libpng.pc/.so
21
22 A.