From: Caleb Tennis <caleb@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] why do different ebuilds have the same version number?
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 13:08:15
1 > Is it accepted practice to allow for changes in an ebuild without changing
2 > the ebuild version number?
3
4 It's a bad practice, but it also saves the end user from having to re-emerge
5 packages which have minor changes in them that may or may not affect them.
6
7 > Background
8 > ----------
9 > After emerging the latest stable ruby (1.8.2-r1), I found that ruby could
10 > not find some of its modules. The default library paths hardcoded into ruby
11 > were incorrect. To demonstrate:
12
13 I committed it on Mar 23, and stabilized it on Apr 14th. A minor fix was made
14 by another developer on Apr 19th which should only affect 64 bit users,
15 however, the fix was made with a typo and was caught and fixed on Apr 20th.
16
17 I guess we took a gamble in not bumping the revision, hoping to not have every
18 Ruby user have to reinstall the package for something that may never have
19 been a problem for them. This decision was helped by the fact that Ruby was
20 rendered useless with this bug, and would force anyone who emerged it during
21 that time would have to seek out some help to sort out the problem.
22
23 Sorry if it wasn't an obvious solution - a quick look at the ChangeLog and bug
24 reports reference therein quickly provides the resolution.
25 --
26 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list