From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] network sandbox challenge
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2020 12:40:35
1 On Fri, Mar 27, 2020 at 7:33 AM Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Fri, 2020-03-27 at 11:29 +0000, Samuel Bernardo wrote:
4 >
5 > > Same question for unpack context when using directly the source
6 > > repository with vcs functions.
7 >
8 > VCS ebuilds generally suck, for multiple reasons. We allow users to use
9 > them but with minimal support. However, e.g. git-r3 supports local
10 > mirrors to resolve some problems.
13 Any guides on using that from an ebuild maintenance standpoint? The
14 eclass docs make it appear more for local sysadmin use vs as a way to
15 distribute things, but I could be reading into it.
16
17 Usually my solution to VCS ebuilds when that is all upstream supports
18 is to just create my own github mirror of the repo, tag an appropriate
19 commit, and then fetch the resulting tarball directly as a non-VCS
20 ebuild. Essentially I end up running my own private fork of upstream.
21 At least, this is what I do for actual releases that upstream can't be
22 bothered to release properly - for a live -9999 VCS ebuild I just
23 point to upstream.
24
25 I don't believe Gentoo has any kind of recommended/standardized
26 solution for this, but having ebuilds point to my own private fork of
27 things obviously is non-ideal. However, I think it is still more
28 transparent than just bundling up a tarball manually and sticking it
29 in my devspace since at least with my forked repo everybody can see
30 where it came from and what state it is in, and of course it is easier
31 to maintain.
32
33 If there is a more preferred way of doing this I'd be interested to
34 hear about it.
37 Rich