From: Christophe Vanfleteren <gentoo@×××××××.be>
To: Mark Bainter <mark-gt@×××××.org>, "Thomas M. Beaudry" <k8la@×××××××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] License criteria for Gentoo
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2002 08:50:26
1 On Tuesday 24 September 2002 14:24, Mark Bainter wrote:
2 > Thomas M. Beaudry [k8la@×××××××××.com] wrote:
3 > > I wasn't going to jump into this mess but...
4 >
5 > I know the feeling. Unfortunately, left unchecked these things
6 > rarely go well.
7 >
8 > > I don't like adding reference to the FSF for the same reason RMS didn't
9 > > like the first BSD license, there's the potential for the need to add
10 > > more and more such references. You could conceivably end up with a page
11 > > full of such references.
12 >
13 > Well, we aren't talking about acknowledging every /license/ here, only
14 > the two major organizations promotiong free/open software. I don't know
15 > that we'll really have that many.
16 >
17 > > Furthermore, I do not see where RMS sees the potential for non-free
18 > > software under one of the OSI approved licenses. I just checked the
19 > > web page of approval criteria to verify I remembered correctly and
20 > > the first criteria is that the license allows free unrestricted
21 > > distribution of the software. How much more free can you get than
22 > > that?
23 >
24 > For this you have to understand that we aren't talking about free
25 > in a generic sense of the word. We're talking about "Free" as
26 > defined by RMS. Which basically means protected by the GPL, or a
27 > license 100% compatible with it. In other words, while BSD licensed
28 > software might be considered free by most of us, it's really just
29 > "open source", and doesn't meet RMS's criteria for "Free Software".
30 > It's all a matter of defining terms.
31
32 Small correction:
33
34 The BSD licence IS FREE, unless you were referring to the original licence
35 with the advertising clause in it.
36 See http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html
37
38 Christophe Vanfleteren