From: Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Using gentoo-announce for more routine decision/ebuild announcements
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2001 12:57:37
1 On Sun, Oct 28, 2001 at 06:24:34PM +0200, Dan Armak wrote:
2 > Hi all,
3 >
4 > This is a followup on the gentoo-ebuild rhide thread, intented to be more
5 > visible than the original thread.
6 >
7 > The gentoo-announce list currently gets a message in a month or two. IMHO
8 > it's not very useful that way. Why not open it for all developers to send
9 > announcements of medium and high importance?
10 >
11 > This can include various decisions - unified ebuild style, install -> /usr,
12 > etc. and announcements of important/interesting new ebuilds and major new
13 > versions of existing ones.
14 >
15 > I for one am tired of reading the cvs logs, and as Azarah says, most of us
16 > aren't on IRC 24/7 and can't follow all the discussions that take place.
17 >
18 > If you think gentoo-announce is important and should stay as-is, we can
19 > create a new list for this.
20 >
21 > In my view the optimal volume would be around 1 message per day, sometimes 2,
22 > with the messages being short and succint and any discussions taking place on
23 > a different list (gentoo-dev, -user, or the team lists).
24 >
25 > What do you think?
26
27 Probably a good idea. gentoo-announce is being under-utilized.
30 Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
31 Chief Architect/President http://www.gentoo.org
32 Gentoo Technologies, Inc.