From: Thomas Kahle <tomka@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New license: nauty
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2010 19:48:34
1 Hi,
2
3 On 02:33 Fri 22 Oct , Hanno Böck wrote:
4 > > We're good to have it in MISC-FREE ourselves, as redistribution and
5 > > everything else is free.
6 >
7 > Erh, no. MISC-FREE is for free and open source software and is more or less
8 > the same as Debians free software guideline. That's the whole purpose
9 > of it.
10
11 I agree here, it is not MISC-FREE.
12
13 > It can go to BINARY-REDISTRIBUTABLE. If you wanna make a list of licenses that
14 > are "more or less free with restrictions" (however you define that), I'm fine
15 > with that, but I'd like to keep everything that's indirectly in the @FREE-set
16 > to be just that.
17
18 Regarding BINARY-REDISTRIBUTABLE, the file says:
19
20 # As proposed: http://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-dev/msg_6c950b46c50fe72ebc5e650bbf70f77c.xml
21 # Excerpt of the rules for this license group:
22 # - MUST permit redistribution in binary form.
23 # - MUST NOT require explicit approval (No items from @EULA)
24 # - MUST NOT restrict the cost of redistribution.
25 # - MAY require explicit inclusion of the license with
26 # the distribution [1]
27 # - IFF there is an explicit inclusion requirement, USE=bindist
28 # MUST cause a copy of the license to be installed in a file
29 # location compliant with the license,
30
31 The nauty license *does* restrict the cost of redistribution. So what
32 is it? An EULA?
33
34 Cheers,
35 Thomas